In this post, we are going to reveal the secrets for how to reset Windows 10 Password when you forget it? We really know how annoying and stupid it is to remember all the passwords to use them on various devices and platforms. But now you don’t need to worry if you have forgotten Windows 10 password. Here we have shared the top-notch 100% working and simple solutions to resolve your issue quickly.
Let’s begin with the solutions to recover windows 10 password reset one-by-one steps in detail.
9 Methods to Reset Windows 10 Password
Method 1: PassCue LabWin (Best for Local Account Password Reset)
As far as my understanding, most of the Windows 10 users login the PC system with their local account. And it is super easy to reset the password of your Windows 10 PC if you forgot password of local accounts. We also mention and advise other available classic methods in following sections. But PassCue Windows Password Recovery tool is the best solution partner out there among all the recovery software. You might be wondering Why? Let me explain, It only needs some minutes to remove the password with 95% success rate when you use passcue software. It also supports Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7 and other OS like Windows servers.
Step 1: First you need toDownload PassCue Windows Password Recovery. Then install it on another Computer System.
Step 2: Insert an USB drive, or any Storage stick or Flash drive and select “Burn USB” on the main interface you see on Passcue. This will burn the password reset utility to USB and the USB will become bootable.
Step 3: Remove the USB from the computer and insert into the device where you wish to reset password for Windows 10. Now turn the power on of the computer and set it boot from USB or Flash drive. After doing that, you will see PassCue software display on the screen with a list of some user accounts.
Step 4: Select any user account and then select “Reset Password” option. Now the password is totally removed. You can reboot the PC after ejecting the USB. Next time, the computer will go to the desktop automatically. No password will be required at your sign in screen!
Method 2: Go With “I Forgot My Password”
- Turn on your computer; you will see locked home screen page. Here you need to enter any wrong password.
- If you forgot windows 10 password then you will need to select the “I forgot my password” option shown below.
Provide them all the information they require on the next screen. Fill the captcha code carefully and proceed.
- After following above steps click on the “Next“ button.
- In the next step, they will ask you to provide contact details so that you can receive the code. You can attach your Email ID or personal phone number to retrieve the verification code or number. You can use this code to recover your account.
- However, if you don’t recall the registered contact details associated with your account, you can go with “I don’t have any of these” options to recover Windows 10 password through other methods.
- After providing all of the contact details, again select on the Send Code option.
- In the next screen, you will need to enter the verification code that you received through email id or phone number. After entering the correct code, you will now get the facility to ‘Reset your password.’
- Now, you need to give a new password and then select Next .We recommend that you create a powerful password using the combo of Alphabets, Numbers and characters.
- After following the above explained process successfully, your windows 10 password will be reset and recovered, you will be landed on the home screen afterwards.
- Now, you can sign in to your Windows 10 user profile by entering the new password.
Method 3: Reset Password of Windows 10 Using Security Question
This one is one of the easiest methods and solutions on how to reset Windows 10 password. If you have forgotten your windows 10 password, this is the best method for solution of it. But this option will only work for you if you set up security questions answer in the first place while creating your account on Windows 10 during installation.
In order to use this method, you need to all the answer the questions at the locked screen or Sign in Screen. Follow the displayed screen processes for Windows 10 password reset.
Method 4: Recover Windows 10 Password with the Help of PIN
If you set up a PIN at the time of creating your user account when you installed Windows 10, you are lucky to go. Because if you have the PIN associated to your account, you can easily access your PC by resetting your Windows 10 forgotten password.
To begin the process, navigate to the Microsoft live account and then follow the displayed instructions to reset password of windows 10.
Method 5: Use Recovery Disk for Windows 10 password reset
In order for this option to work, you have to make sure that a backup for recovering the lost password has been created prior to making your account on Windows 10.
To avoid losing the password, you need to make a recovery disc and save it in a pen drive or anywhere else. While you attempt to recover the password, you need to connect the same USB drive to your computer. Then follow the steps appearing on the screen to recover your forgotten windows 10 password.
Method 6: Use the Password Reset Tool for Microsoft Live Accounts
Microsoft has given us the synchronization option so you can store your credentials at a place. To recover the Windows 10 password, you can use the Microsoft’s Password Reset tool. This tool is available on their website
Simply go to this link. Provide your Email ID, phone number or the Skype ID, then press the Next button. Follow the steps given to recover your windows 10 password.
How to Reset Windows 10 Password Using Command Prompt
There’s another method to recover windows 10 password. Yes, you can reset password for Windows 10 with Command prompt. However, you can only reset the local password. Following are the steps to recover windows 10 password.
Note that, Administrator password cannot be restored by following this method.
Method 7: Enable Internal Administrator Account to reset the password
There is an efficient trick to recover forgotten Windows 10 password using Command Prompt. Follow these steps to reset Windows 10 password in your system.
- Make a bootable Pen Drive with Windows 10 Operating System.
- Turn off your computer and turn it on after putting the bootable Pen Drive in the USB Port.
- After you turn on the PC, open your system with the bootable pen drive. You may need to change some BIOS settings for it. You can try to open the system with a bootable USB drive by pressing F2, F4, F8, F10 or F12.
NOTE: Contact your computer manufacturer company if these keys are not working in your case.
- After starting the PC, press Shift+F10 keys together to run the Command Prompt.
- Enter the command C: navigate to the root directory of the previous installed OS.
- Go to ‘System32’ file location by typing this command cd Windows\System32
- You need to replace the Utility Manager. For executing it, enter this command ren utilman.exe utilman.exe.bak.
- Press enter. After result is shown to you, enter another command ren cmd.exe utilman.exe.
- Then press the enter button.
- Restart your system by typing this command wpeutil reboot.
- After you have restarted, you will see the Lock screen displaying. You need to open the Command Prompt window by clicking the Utility Manager button given at the bottom-right corner of screen.
- Enter the command net user administrator /active: yes to enable the hidden in-built administrator account.
- Restart your PC by pressing the power button icon at extreme bottom- right corner of your PC screen.
- After you restart the PC, there will appear a login screen where you will click on the Administrator button on at the left-bottom corner.
- Click on Computer Management, on the Start Menu given at the left-bottom corner.
- Find the ‘Computer Management’ and select the first option from the result you see on screen.
- Go to the Local Users & Groups and extend the choices by clicking on the small arrow given beside the option.
- Click on the Users folder and then select the account for which you want to reset the password in Windows 10.
- Right-click on the account and click ‘Set Password.’
- A pop-up window will appear and ask you to assign a new password. Type a strong and easy to remember password then press the OK button.
- Now your password is updated. Sign out from the current administrator account and sign in again with the new password you assigned.
Now, in order to keep your PC preferences same as before. So, follow these guidelines and reverse your settings back to the normal mode.
- You have to restart your PC now by using a bootable pen drive and then start up the Command Prompt window by hitting Shift+F10 keys simultaneously.
- Navigate to the OS installed drive by typing this command C: and then type the command cd Windows\System32 to enter ‘System32’ file directory.
- Enter the command ren utilman.exe utilman.exe.bak and then hit enter.
- And then type another command ren cmd.exe utilman.exe
- Type the command net user administrator /active: no to disable the admin account that was enabled initially.
- After completing the above guidelines, type wpeutil to make a reboot. It will restart your PC normally and then you will be able to enjoy the all the great features of Windows 10 with your new sign in password.
Method 8: Use Net User Command to Reset Password of Windows 10
In order to reset your Windows 10 password using command prompt follow below steps: –
- Start your PC navigate the sign in screen. Now go to the “Ease of Access” panel at the right bottom of the screen and then choose command prompt to launch it immediately.
- After seeing the command prompt appearing on screen, type the command; net user Administrator *
- Provide a new password, type the same password and then press the enter key.
- It will ask you to type the password again, then do the same and then press the enter key.
- After typing all these commands, reboot your system and by writing the command shutdown -t 0 -r and then hit the enter key.
- After rebooting your PC, log in into the panel without entering the password and then go to the account section given inside the Control Panel. Enter you can reset your password from there and then use it next time while signing in on your PC.
Method 9: Reset Windows 10 Password with Password Recovery Tools
An alternative trick to reset your Windows 10 password is there. With the help of Windows password recovery tools you will know how to reset Windows 10 password. It is available online and is an online method. Below is the list of a few ideal recovery software that you can make use of if you forgot windows 10 password earlier.
- Volume Licensing Service Center
- Passcue to reset the password of windows 10
- John the Ripper
- Windows Password Unlocker Professional
- Windows Password Recovery Tool Ultimate
- Kon-Boot for Windows
Method 10: Restore Windows 10 on your system
Somehow if you are still not able to recover your Windows 10 password, you can do a complete System restore on Windows 10. Make sure to create a full backup of necessary data from C drive before doing a system restore on Windows 10.
Note: For product keys of Windows 10 for activation
If you want to reset windows 10 password by performing system restore on your system then make sure to only target formatting only C drive. Because this is the location where your OS important files are stored. So, you don’t need to play with any other drives; otherwise, it will give you unnecessary pain at the time of formatting you will loose your important data.
We hope you get success by the post on how to reset password of windows 10. We are excited to know, which method out of these 9 ones worked for our visitors. Windows 10 password reset in your system. If you have any query or question make sure to leave a comment down below. We will revert you with easy solutions on almost anything.